Severe Weather Plans
Severe Weather Plan for Parents and Families
Every winter brings the possibility of snow and ice, and extreme bad weather can cause widespread and prolonged disruption. Schools are often affected and it can be difficult to maintain full provision during such events.
As a fundamental principle we believe that every effort must be made to keep schools open, even if only limited numbers of pupils can attend, particularly given the current context of Covid-19 and the amount of time missed during the periods of national school closure in 2020 and 2021. However,schools may sometimes have to close due to ‘unavoidable’ circumstances, specifically those related to weather conditions which mean that it is no longer safe for staff or pupils to be on site, or if asking staff and students to come into school puts their safety at risk.
We recognise, of course, that it is important for our school to remain open so parents are able to work and pupils can continue to learn. Please therefore be reassured that Dover Grammar School for Boys will make every effort to prepare for severe snow/ice this winter by gritting pathways and clearing access points. Should we need to close because of the weather, our online learning contingency plan will be activated and learning will be able to take place remotely.
How will we let you know if the school is closed?
If we do experience severe snow/ice resulting in hazardous conditions, I may have to take the decision to close the school. Once this decision has been made we will notify parents via the Kent Closures website. To determine whether Dover Grammar School for Boys is open or closed please visit www.kentclosures.co.uk and search for the school in the search box. The Kent Closures website can also be used to find out if other services in Kent are open or closed, such as nurseries, children’s centres and libraries. We also recommend parents sign up for SMS/Email alerts on the Kent Closures website. This service will send an SMS or email alert to let parents know if Dover Grammar School for Boys is closed. Parents can also listen to KMFM, BBC Radio Kent or Heart FM to hear if the school has closed. Notification will also be provided as an announcement on our website www.dgsb.co.uk
What can you do to help?
- Please visit www.kent.gov.uk/winter for more information about gritting routes and travel issues around Kent so you can plan your journey.
- Please approach the school from the bottom gate on Astor Avenue, as road conditions can be particularly treacherous on Noah’s Ark Road and because there is limited parking around our top gate as a result of construction work
- Please provide a packed lunch from home in case school meals cannot be provided
- Ensure that your child has suitable warm clothing – gloves, hats,scarves, wellies etc. or even a change of clothing
- If you are a working parent or feel you may have a problem with a sudden earlier pick up, please try to put a back‐ up plan in place with another family member or parent and inform the school. This will allow us to send your child home early if the school needs to close, and will also allow staff to leave earlier for their safety if weather dictates.
Many thanks for your support in helping Dover Grammar School for Boys remain open during periods of severe weather.